KlawBerry - Good Girl. Bad World.

Moderators: AgentHelix, Tracy Fran, TheRonin, CameronStewart

KlawBerry - Good Girl. Bad World.

Postby SteamCrow » Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:14 pm

Hi there!

My name is Daniel M. Davis, and I'm new here. I'm an indy illustrator and publisher, and I've just finished the art for my second book, KlawBerry.

I'd like to share a few images with you to check out. (These are full spreads)

Born of the Sea

Dark Forest

Hungry Girl

Called on the Wind

Distractions

Following the Signs

I'm an ego maniac, so here's an icon I use for myself. (A little larger)

My book should come back from the printer by February, if all goes well. I'll be pushing them, as well as my first book "Caught Creatures" at a few Comic Conventions this year.

Thanks for looking,

- Daniel
SteamCrow

Postby SteamCrow » Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:17 pm

Oh yeah, it's all vector artwork (Freehand MX) pulled into Photoshop, and overlayed with a texture. Pretty simple, but I like the effect.

Sorry the images are so small, but I'd rather not make you folks mad at me my first time around.

:)
SteamCrow

Postby BlueHarp411 » Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:23 pm

Welcome aboard Daniel and these are spectacular!!

Jill
BlueHarp411

Postby Patrick77 » Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:08 pm

Daniel,

Really excellent stuff. I like the combination of vector art and the rough textures, its a nice change from the overly slick vector stuff you usually see.

My only critique is that in some of these the Klawberry character seems to have been added kind of as an afterthought. Probably just because I am seeing all the images one after the other it's easy to see the little changes you made to the stock character. Switched the claw position. Used the happy mouth instead of the sad mouth. The "Hungry Girl" one is nice because she seems to be interested in what's going on in the rest of the illustration, and it's obvious you had to actually redraw a good chunk of her for the 3/4 view.

Regardless, great work. Hopefully you'll be at the San Diego Con this year so I can pick up a book.

Pat
Patrick77

Postby SteamCrow » Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:27 pm

Hi guys, nice to meet you.

Patrick - Yeah, you're right.

I made the decision to do KlawBerry as a "stock" character that way because I really wanted her to be like a mascot type of character - almost literally an icon.

She's really inspired by characters like Hello Kitty, Astroboy, cereal box characters and other product mascots.

For good or bad, I really wanted to keep her "iconic", like a modern hyroglyph or a logo.

I felt that other poses diluted her icon-ness, but agreed, it also makes her less diverse/interesting. Being a graphic designer, sometimes I get caught up in *graphic* ideas.

Thanks for your comments. I'd be glad to meet you at SDCC.
SteamCrow

Postby KevinR » Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:59 am

Hey, Daniel, these are very cool, I really like them! I love the colours and tones you use, and the texture. Exellent! :D

Kev
KevinR

Postby Miqosis » Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:27 pm

These are really excellent. The texture you're applying is exquisite - a nice subtle way of making vector work appear less plastic while maintaining flat colours. And I don't mind the repetition of the pose - cliparty, but without the quick n' cheap/mass consumption feel.
Miqosis

Postby Wibo81 » Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:42 pm

Yep, your use of texture is amazing..
Wibo81

Postby SteamCrow » Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:41 pm

Thanks, guys.

I'm glad that you like the texture.

While I'm a "vector" artist, I really love decay and wear in art, nature. The wear from the elements or human hands is really fascinating to me. Vector art is pretty much the opposite of this.

So, I've been trying to incorporate texture in a way that unifies the pieces more, while appealing to my love of organic wear.

Occasionally some pieces can look similar to paintings, which I love.
SteamCrow

Postby Orbyss » Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:51 pm

Love it, and no critiques from me. Such a clean style and crisp subjects, and I do like that subtle texture.
Orbyss

Postby Harvey Kent » Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:09 pm

So, YOU'RE the other guy that uses Freehand! I had heard stories, but I thought they were just myth! :D

- A fellow Freehand user

Nice work, buy the way. With the graphic quality of your work, you might think about making up some t-shirts, if you haven't already.
Harvey Kent

Postby Harvey Kent » Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:10 pm

"buy" the way ? Geez, spell much, Harv?
Harvey Kent

Postby Muffin » Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:25 am

Great stuff. :) I like the textures and the old style
Muffin

Postby SteamCrow » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:02 am

Thanks for the comments and encouragement.

Freehand: I draw everything using the pen tool. I've evolved my style by using the FH one. Now, when I try Illustrator, I feel like an infant. It just doesn't work the same way.

Eventually, I'll move to Illustrator, but for now, I'm using FH because I can actually get art done the way that I want. (Without going completely bald)

Buy! (errr... bye!)

:)
SteamCrow

Postby Harvey Kent » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:15 pm

It's the two different selection tools (black arrow/white arrow) in Illustrator that gave me trouble. Once I got used to that, and the keyboard shortcuts, I quite liked Illustrator.

But, Freehand's what I own, so that's what I use.
Harvey Kent

Next

Return to Illustration