Let The Right One In

Talk about the good and bad in film & television.

Moderators: AgentHelix, Captain Genius, Tracy Fran, TheRonin

Postby Atomicpanda » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:16 am

Thanks. I was partial to "Bitch, please." myself.
Atomicpanda

Postby Elliotanimated » Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:12 am

Terrific film.
Reminded me of Fargo (not just because of the snow).
The little girl looked rather like my wife, which was nice.
My wife has never been covered in blood, however...

Spoilers below*

The only things I didn't especially like were the cats and the woman bursting into flames.
It really did seem out of the spirit of the film.
Elliotanimated

Postby jharker » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:13 pm

Finally got to see this yesterday. I traveled for an hour to Amsterdam to see it at a festival, where they bluntly told the film would get a wide release this week, even though it hasn't been advertised

So that was kinda of dumb.

Great film though. It almost plays like a film intended for children, if it weren't for the bloody murders and other violence in it. I don't think I've ever seen anything like it.

There were a bunch of scene that weren't really clear to me, but it's actually fun to read up on the different interpretations people have on things.

I didn't get the sewn up crotch thing in the film and asked my brother what he thought that was about. He basically implied he thought it was that it was to protect Eli from her own mentruation cycle.

Since it's never told in the film that it was a boy who was castrated, I actually like his interpretation of that scene as well.

Great film, looking forward to get it on dvd or bluray.
jharker

Postby Kelly Tindall » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:33 pm

Elliotanimated wrote:Spoilers below*

The only things I didn't especially like were the cats and the woman bursting into flames.

The digital cats bother everyone. I'm surprised they didn't cut that sequence, it looked very very fake. Not so bad on a t.v. but in a theatre it was like a Saturday Night Live sketch.

I didn't mind the bursting into flames bit. When the movie gets re-made, she'll probably explode into a thousand pieces and leave blood and gore all over the room.
Kelly Tindall

Postby HellboyOne » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:59 pm

Kelly Tindall wrote:
Elliotanimated wrote:Spoilers below*

The digital cats bother everyone. I'm surprised they didn't cut that sequence, it looked very very fake. Not so bad on a t.v. but in a theatre it was like a Saturday Night Live sketch.

I didn't mind the bursting into flames bit. When the movie gets re-made, she'll probably explode into a thousand pieces and leave blood and gore all over the room.

And it'll be tigers.
HellboyOne
Site Admin

Postby emceeONE » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:59 pm

Finally saw this movie. Easily one of my favorites...and I hate vampire movies for the most part. I'm sure the director doesn't get tired of hearing that.

Maybe I'm not as cynical as others yet (and didn't know about the book until scanning this thread, and even still, the movie is a separate entity from the book and must be judged on its own), but it's hard for me to see Eli not having any real affection for the old man.

It wasn't passionate romantic love, and I think such things are over used in movies to show affection. But I did see it as the same type of relationship between say an owner and her pet dog. She's probably been through many others before and will go through others in the future. That doesn't mean the love isn't there.

Any distance between her and the old man, and soon Oskar, probably comes from the realization she's immortal and all those in her life will eventually die. I don't think she closes herself completely off, just has to learned to accept the impermanence of all things.

I thought the ambiguity of this film and the questions it raised, giving audiences just enough to fill in the blanks themselves is what made it a great movie. I liked that they didn't have to explain vampire mythology to the characters in the film.

And the explanation of what happens to a vampire when it enters uninvited...awesome.
emceeONE

Postby krisvahl » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:06 pm

So was this released worldwide with the original subtitles or the crap ones?
krisvahl
Site Admin

Postby HellboyOne » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:34 am

krisvahl wrote:So was this released worldwide with the original subtitles or the crap ones?

Theatrically with the original subs. On dvd with the crap ones at first and then re-released with the real ones after the furor over it. Sadly, they didn't pull the crap dvds when they re-released the new ones so when purchasing, it's a crap shoot. Which is why I'm waiting awhile until I feel that the old stock has made their way into the hands of unlucky consumers.
HellboyOne
Site Admin

Postby J0ey Lee » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:12 am

HellboyOne wrote:
krisvahl wrote:So was this released worldwide with the original subtitles or the crap ones?

Theatrically with the original subs. On dvd with the crap ones at first and then re-released with the real ones after the furor over it. Sadly, they didn't pull the crap dvds when they re-released the new ones so when purchasing, it's a crap shoot. Which is why I'm waiting awhile until I feel that the old stock has made their way into the hands of unlucky consumers.

I was under the impression that the newer dvd's would indicate that the subtitles are from the theatrical version. Like next to the box that includes the subtitle info it would read, "english-theatrical". Is this not the case?
J0ey Lee

Postby Kelly Tindall » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:32 am

Yeah, it should be. I've checked every copy I've come across and I haven't see it yet.
Kelly Tindall

Postby StudioBueno » Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:46 pm

I have a friend who says he saw DVDs in one store that did specify the theatrical dub. But I'm still waiting to find a Blu Ray that specifies it...and so far no luck there.
Image Image
StudioBueno

Postby krisvahl » Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:12 am

Yay, I bought the DVD in Australia through distributors 'Madman Entertainment' and it's the original subtitles. There was no indication anywhere on the cover that it was the original subtitles though. Compared it with the scene comparisons in Hellboy One's previous link, and they're the right ones. That's a relief.
krisvahl
Site Admin

Postby jharker » Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:22 pm

I believe it was a decision made solely by the American distributor for god knows what reason.

DVD compare.net states that the british bluray release has the theatrical subtitles. has an audio commentary that the US version lacks and that it's confirmed to be region free (even though the cover says otherwise).

So maybe that's an option for you American people here.

The only thing I'm not sure off is if there will be complications with any NTSC and PAL differences. If there even are any NTSC and PAL differences. I'm not too technical so maybe that's a thing of the past.

Anyway, here's a link to the comparison; http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=14251
jharker

Postby jharker » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:59 am

Sigh, seems like it's a shot by shot remake;

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjavOLdPk1c [/youtube]
jharker

Postby Doh » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:22 pm

Yeah, the trailer does look familiar, but if I had never seen the original they do make it look pretty intriguing.

This remake will only work for me if they cover more things from the novel than the Swedish movie did. There's a LOT more to the Old Man's story than the first film showed us.
Doh

PreviousNext

Return to Movies & TV