Old School European Masters

Discussion of classic and current comic books and strips.

Moderators: AgentHelix, Tracy Fran, TheRonin, TheAtomicTerrier

Old School European Masters

Postby de aap » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:26 am

I noticed that most people on this forum talk about American comics. That's all very cool and interesting but as a European (I'm from the Netherlands) I'd love to share some extremly cool European artists with you.

I thought I'd begin with some of the most famous ones, from more then 50 years ago. (I'm only 28, but I love this stuff!)

This is some stuff from the Lucky Luke comics by Morris. Lucky Luke is well known because of it's humour (a lot of the Lucky Luke albums were written by Goscinny known from the Asterix comics) the cameo's by hollywood figures are also well known.

What you don't hear enough of in my opinion is the great use of colours. I'm not sure to what degree Mr. Morris is responsible for the colours but I love the bold use of solid red, blue and brown in Lucky Luke. If there is a fire whole panels will be simply filled with solid red, only the flames will be a different colour, usually white or yellow.

more info: http://lambiek.net/artists/m/morris.htm

Enough talk let's look at some pictures![/url]

BTW I'm rather new to the forum so I hope that there wasn't a topic like this already...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
de aap

Postby jeffb » Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:03 am

great post, would love to see more.
jeffb

Postby ChileConCarne » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:21 am

yeah these are really great, i would love to see more!
ChileConCarne

Postby de aap » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:33 am

Here are some more pics from Lucky Luke (it's not strange I'm such fan my first comic was a Lucky Luke :)) at the moment I don't have a decent scanner so these are all found on the net. When I get my scanner to work I'll definetly post some scans too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
de aap

Postby GEORGE » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:39 am

I too love European comics and their style...These are great. You're right about the use of colours...Please post more when you get time...thanks for these. :D
GEORGE

Postby Gorgonzola » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:43 am

YES! I'm all for bringing some European comic art to the table.

Of course, we can't forget Moebius....

I was re-reading through his old series "Stel" and Blueberry...it's really amazing how different his work was between the two. I've been poring over the Blueberry work especially, trying to glean as much info as I can about his inkwork from it.

I was recently introduced to Regis Loisel too, who apparently has a translated version of his Peter Pan book coming out very soon (or maybe it's already out?)

I got myself a website now! http://www.artofandrewsides.com
Check out the blog! http://andrewsides.blogspot.com
Webcomic - BORDER CROSSINGS: http://www.thelastisland.com
Gorgonzola

Postby Oakhorse » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:47 am

These Lucky Luke drawings are great. I love that one where the horse is sitting by the water like a dog. Clean simple and wonderfully drawn stuff.

The Regis Loisel stuff is pretty good as well. I looked on Amazon for the Peter Pan but could not find it for sale. It did have some rather favorable revues. If anyone knows where to buy it in English, I'd be interested to know. I'm a big fan of ( as one of the reviews said ) revisiting the paces of my childhood through the eyes of an adult.

Thanks for sharing all of these guys. Very cool. I hope you and others can keep them coming.

There are also some South American artists that have not permeated the North American market. I'd love to see a thread of those from the folks who live down there.
Oakhorse

Postby epetmezas » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:29 pm

I love Lucky Luke.
Those Peter Pan books were translated years ago in two HC books from Heavy Metal/Tundra (joint effort). They are totally worth picking up if you can find them. His Roxanne series was translated in the 80's, but those are harder to find.
Peace,
Herc
epetmezas

Postby CosmicPencil » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:29 pm

I LOVE European Bande Desinee!!!
Whether it's Herg?'s Tintin or Asterix or newer books like Sky Doll or whatever Enrique Fernandez is cooking up... Even Jamie Hewlett could technically fall in the category of European artists, although not old school (nor were some other books/names I mentioned).

Here's one artist that I've really gotten into lately:
Corrado Mastantuono!!! (and all the images below are by him :shock: )

More later...

-matt
CosmicPencil

Postby de aap » Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:25 am

Wow! I've never even heard of Matantuono, I'll try to find some of his comics, they lo great. They reminded me of Toth and Bernet, is that a Torpedo page?

Moebius is cool too, I prefer the stuff he does on his real name though. Blueberry is great. But, yeah, his Moebius linework is the best.

Hope you don't mind if I stick with Lucky Luke just a little bit longer. 've hooked up this old scanner I have lying around. Now I have some better examples of the great linework, composition and that colouring I was talking about.

I'd love to share 'em but it seems I have reached my "maximum upload quota limit of 4 mb"? I'm still new tot the forum and I don't really know what to do now? Do I have to delete earlier posts?
de aap

Postby Gorgonzola » Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:14 am

You could, or if you have photobucket, just upload them to there, and then use the "img" tag to embed them.
I got myself a website now! http://www.artofandrewsides.com
Check out the blog! http://andrewsides.blogspot.com
Webcomic - BORDER CROSSINGS: http://www.thelastisland.com
Gorgonzola

Postby RodGuen » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:09 am

:shock: :shock:

A dear friend made me discover Mastantuono just a couple of weeks ago with his
"MagicVento" books, but i had noooo idea he could draw cartoony style like Cavazzano !
Thanks for sharing these, you made my day!

My love for Denis Bodart is secret to no one....
RodGuen

Postby RodGuen » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:12 am

8)
RodGuen

Postby 1peace » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:58 am

AWESOME!!!

Post more of these folks. hop to it. :D :!:
1peace

Postby Vince Lee » Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:26 pm

I LOVE BD.

I consider it my biggest illustrative inspiration and aspiration. I'm really happy there's a thread here about it!

These guys are favorite current, not old school, BD artists, but hopefully they're okay here:

Benoit Springer:

Matthieu Lauffray:

Alex Alice:

Vince Lee

Next

Return to Comics.