October '08 Jam: Kat

A variety of interpretations of the same photo reference. CREATION OF NEW TOPICS RESTRICTED TO ADMINISTRATION.

Moderators: AgentHelix, Tracy Fran, TheRonin, BurnComics

Postby gurgledog » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:14 pm

I found a few photos that had her in retro gear, which I found I liked a lot better. I loved the contrast between the vintage dress styles and the innumerable tattoos she had. So I decided to go with that theme. Unfortunately, I should have probably stopped after penciling this out.

To check out some of the photos, check these links:
http://www.flisted.com/wp-content/uploa ... on-d-1.jpg
http://www.hollywoodbackwash.com/wp-con ... -von-d.jpg
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd25 ... VonD50.jpg

Not too hot on those bleached bangs though.
gurgledog

Postby Lowman_X » Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:38 pm

Great work, peoples! I especially like your Tiki take on her, sThig. How do you make those nice clean crisp lines?

Orphan works: hasn't that been kicking around for a while now? I know people have been discussing it on here before with some people getting in an uproar about it and others fairly chilled... has it passed into law or whatever it's meant to do before it comes into effect?

(And besides, no one'd want my work anyway... lol) :wink:
Lowman_X

Postby sThig » Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:31 am

how do I get those nice crisp lines? Oh Adobe Illustrator is your friend when it comes to that (I don't even touch Photoshop).

Orphan works: I've been getting emails saying it's passed and I think it's on the desk of Dubya waiting to be signed off on. I could be wrong, but I believe it got slipped through during the craze of the bailout (when no one was looking).

And lowman, your work totally rocks, man. Don't sell yourself short!
scott thigpen
illustrator
http://www.sthig.com

sThig

Postby Dixie » Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:50 pm

Here's my attempt - although I don't seem to be able to preview my file. Apologies if its not showing - I aint no computr buff.
Attachments
DrawJam_Kat.jpg
Dixie

Postby wallcrawler4310 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:23 pm

Great work from everyone! I've been waiting for a new Jam and was very excited by the model selected, Kat is hot! Well here is my stab at it, still trying to teach myself PhotoShop. Mmocarski yours came out simply gorgeous!
Attachments
kat2copy-1.jpg
wallcrawler4310

Postby exmoure » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:40 am

Dixie, I had the same problem. I was like...."k, here it goes, hope it posts." Nice pic btw

wallcrawler, okay, way to get zealous on those tattoos! Nice line work :)
"You are what you believe you are." - Don Miguel Riez
Exmoure
exmoure

Postby kevlev » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:47 am

Some really fab stuff here everyone. Particularly like Ian's graphical approach!

I've dragged this in a bit of a different direction, I wanted to submit something to a comic company that's printing Zombie comics and I thought that the first image in this thread was almost there from a gothic point of view.

In the end, all that really remains of Kat in this is the pose!

Sorry if this offends anyone!
Attachments
zombie_dancer_small.jpg
kevlev

Postby CStein » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:11 pm

sThig wrote:Orphan works: I've been getting emails saying it's passed and I think it's on the desk of Dubya waiting to be signed off on. I could be wrong, but I believe it got slipped through during the craze of the bailout (when no one was looking).

AFAIK, Orphan Works has NOT become law. The Senate passed a version amidst all the hullabaloo the past couple of weeks, but it did not pass the House. And the House and Senate versions are different enough that it's unlikely that compromise could be reached this session.

However, the fact that it passed the Senate, and came close in the House, means it's probably only a matter of time. And there is no grandfather type clause... so artwork from decades or centuries ago can still be considered "orphan works". So it certainly wouldn't be a bad idea to start watermarking. Of course, regardless of whether OW becomes law, it's always a good idea to protect your work as much as possible anyway.

It's unfortunate that even the U.S. Copyright Office is behind this legislation.
CStein

Postby Dixie » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:14 am

Hi again. Its been a slow week at work so I thought I'd have another crack at this.
Attachments
Jam_Kat2.jpg
Dixie

Postby Kayatwork » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:40 am

Great entries so far.

Kevlev> excellent !

Here is mine :wink:
Attachments
sirene141008.jpg
Kayatwork

Postby krisvahl » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:04 am

Brilliant work everyone. Tattoos and women are always a great combo.

EDIT- Made some alterations based on Viva's comments and added a bit more detail and accuracy to the tattoos.
Last edited by krisvahl on Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:50 am, edited 22 times in total.
krisvahl
Site Admin

Postby M@U » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:35 am

in my way :)

Great entries so far

M@U

Postby Viva_Barista » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:55 am

Really liking this one krisvahl. Love that expression ! My only crit is the curve of her back to her waist seems to make her waist too thin on the left side. I think if you widen it and the left thigh you'll have it. But im going on 4 hours of sleep right now.. so pay no attention to me :P
Viva_Barista

Postby jakob westman » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:18 am

That's beautiful Kris!

/ Jakob
x
Image x Image
jakob westman

Postby krisvahl » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:24 pm

Thanks Jakob!

Viva- Thanks for the crits. Always welcome.

I made some alterations based on your comments. Let me know what you think.
krisvahl
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Drawing Jam