February '07 Jam: Six

A variety of interpretations of the same photo reference. CREATION OF NEW TOPICS RESTRICTED TO ADMINISTRATION.

Moderators: AgentHelix, Tracy Fran, TheRonin, BurnComics

Re: nice

Postby ess_jay_arr » Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:21 am

guece wrote:nice work guys. Man, sometimes is discouraging when nobody comments, is it just me or is the shit make u think ur shit stinks, cuz i think mine doesnt stink...that bad.

Heh, no-one commented on mine either. I just figured maybe people around here don't like newbies. Either that or, yeah, maybe my shit stinks. :P
ess_jay_arr

Postby munkymu » Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:44 am

ess_jay_arr wrote:
guece wrote:nice work guys. Man, sometimes is discouraging when nobody comments, is it just me or is the shit make u think ur shit stinks, cuz i think mine doesnt stink...that bad.

Heh, no-one commented on mine either. I just figured maybe people around here don't like newbies. Either that or, yeah, maybe my shit stinks. :P

A Drawing Jam isn't the best place to get comments. Most people post a picture, say "good job everybody" and maybe comment on one or two pieces done by their friends, or ones that are particularly skilled. Even you two didn't give out specific comments to people in this thread. I'm sure you didn't think that EVERYTHING in this thread stinks, you just didn't feel like saying something specific to 20 different people.
munkymu

Postby sThig » Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:57 am

Not everyone is going to get comments.

At very most I get "nice" or "good art." But I didn't come here to get my ego rubbed (if I want that I'll ask my wife and/or mommy), I usually come here to draw, post, learn and enjoy.

If a picture is finished, executed well, in proportion, colored and in a unique style, I'll probably say something. If it's a sketch, loosely drawn, not finished or does not have that certain "oopmh" to it, then I feel no obligation to comment.

IF you want comments on something, why don't you post it elsewhere and ask for people to comment on your picture. Then again, you may need to watch what you wish for, some people may give you comments you don't want.

--edit--

Way back "when" I used to spend hours commenting on each and everyone's pictures in a drawing jam. Now-a-days, I simply don't have time. Being a newbie has nothing to do with getting comments...and if you posted for the soul reason for getting them, you may want to rethink why you posted in the first place
scott thigpen
illustrator
http://www.sthig.com

sThig

Postby sinj » Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:12 am

well just to toss in my opinion, heh.
I don't post looking for comments, and if i did i would do like the person before me said and post it somewhere else and ask for it.
I myself just enjoy posting my work so others can see it (participating).
Also I haven't scanned enough stuff to post a real thread for myself in the sketchbook section, which is when these pictures will reappear.

I love this board and I find it very family like watching how some interactions take place. The amount of skilled and just plain nice people makes it worth posting, even if i never get a comment. From the most beginner looking work to the most professional I have seen confidence handed out with happiness and welcoming, In the same breath I have seen the best overlooked sometimes, but never seen the "worst"(very objective) put down, only given support to "keep it up".

opinion over.
sinj

Postby Sirspamdalot » Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:09 pm

guece wrote:Man, sometimes is discouraging when nobody comments, is it just me or does it make u think ur crap stinks, cuz i think mine doesnt stink...that bad.

It would help if you actually posted a drawing on the thread.
Sirspamdalot

Postby spacejack » Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:49 pm

I did another one, and stuck more to the photo reference for this. The standing pose kind of draws itself, don't you think? Still, it took me several bad pencil sketches before I got something that wouldn't be a waste of ink. The legs are a bit lumpy... or something. And the feet are overworked. And is she balanced, or is she not balanced? I can't quite tell. But there are some things I like about it. Pentel pocketbrush again.

spacejack

Postby F-warp » Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:41 am

There's some real beautiful work in this thread. I don't know who to compliment first!

I know I don't even come close to comparing, but here's my two cents.

F-warp

Postby tylerdurden » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:58 am

ess_jay_arr wrote:Heh, no-one commented on mine either. I just figured maybe people around here don't like newbies. Either that or, yeah, maybe my shit stinks. :P

From experience, it really is difficult coming in this late in a Jam and expecting a critique. I tried once-upon-a-Drawing-Jam-long-ago to write comments for seven pages worth of art before posting my own. It took over an hour to write single sentence responses for everyone. After I posted that, I got a PM from a friendly old-hand on this board that said, in short, "You know, the DJ forum really is there mostly for showcasing, exercising drawing from reference, etc., and not really for critiques... It's appreciated, but it's not necessary."

With that in mind, I took my art and re-posted it in another thread in another forum (after checking with the moderators, since there are rules about posting your art in more than one forum).

If you don't get comments here, don't worry. And, speaking of which, your artwork looks great, both of you (Guece, I saw your work in the Girls forum).
"Once upon a time, the unattainable standard of beauty had to be met by at least one real person. Now in these days of Photoshop, that model doesn't have to even exist." -Vashti Bandy
tylerdurden

Nobody commented on mine either

Postby richpee » Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:35 pm

March 1st though, I'll be first in! Then EVERYBODY will tell me how wonderful I am! My self-worth will fly through the window. Whoooo!
richpee

Postby sThig » Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:38 pm

richpee,

I already like your drawing. It's the best one so far for march
scott thigpen
illustrator

sThig

Postby cyberswine » Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:59 pm

Some nice work on this thread! I think my version is a bit rounder then the real person but . . . *shrugs*
Attachments
trish.gif
cyberswine

Postby spacejack » Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:00 pm

Is it bad form to keep posting new ones? I added some colour and some background at the suggestion of a friend, to make her seem a little more balanced. I think I rotated it a smidge too.

spacejack

Postby sThig » Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:02 pm

better.

I think she's bottom heavy and that's what is bothering me about your picture. I would have either REALLY exaggerated the bottom heaviness or fixed it. It just seems that by the time you get to her head, it's small.

Just my 2 cents. It's a nice piece, I'm just giving you my opinion
scott thigpen
illustrator

sThig

Postby spacejack » Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:13 pm

Thanks sThing. I always appreciate honest criticism. It probably would've benefitted from a better perspective plan.
spacejack

Only just found out about this forum

Postby TPD » Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:33 am

so this may be late to the party but is actually a pretty quick sketch, I didn't really get a very good grip on the hair, her shoulder is all wrong and it's a pretty terrible likeness but that's enough "bigging it up" ;)
Attachments
tpdjam.jpg
Jam-picture
Last edited by TPD on Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
TPD

PreviousNext

Return to Drawing Jam