Jam 9.17.04: Jude

A variety of interpretations of the same photo reference. CREATION OF NEW TOPICS RESTRICTED TO ADMINISTRATION.

Moderators: AgentHelix, Tracy Fran, TheRonin, BurnComics

Postby BigStov » Mon Sep 20, 2004 6:35 pm

PLEASE, isnt there not anyone who can really capture him?

craban there did a fantastic job, IMHO. :wink:
BigStov

Postby leander » Mon Sep 20, 2004 6:39 pm

doktor-U, craban, gothickitsune: great !

sorry for this one
Attachments
173-jude1.jpg
leander

Postby rainboy » Mon Sep 20, 2004 8:52 pm

No, I like tis! I like e energy in it.
ImageImage
rainboy

Postby doktor-U » Mon Sep 20, 2004 11:03 pm

Craban: Of course yours looks awesome, really. the white pen makes it so nice!
great scenery and composition, but it still doesnt look all too much like Jude to me.
No offense!!!
I guess Jude is such a slick dude, that it?s hard to portrait him.
maybe it works drawing him the cartooney way.
peace
doktor-U

Postby doktor-U » Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:16 am

late nite special

doktor-U

Postby wonton » Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:44 pm

He will be sooo pretty with his red lipstick! Everyone will want to dance with him at the ho-down.
wonton

Postby PencilBoy » Thu Sep 23, 2004 7:17 pm

The very first one posted (forgive me for not remembering your name) of Jude in the suit...AWESOME. It's very nicely done. Kudos.
PencilBoy

Postby Luchs » Fri Sep 24, 2004 7:51 pm

xxx
Last edited by Luchs on Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Luchs

Hey Jude

Postby innisanimate » Sat Sep 25, 2004 2:53 am

Craban...nice rendering...especially the jacket.
Doctor-U...nice style...I was hoping for an optimist/pessimist caption. ;)

I think I'll focus on the face next and see if I can capture his likeness better.
The harsh lighting on these pictures definitely make drawing Jude more difficult.
Here is the rough sketch as well as some quick photoshop coloring.
Attachments
judesketch.jpg
judeColor.jpg
innisanimate

Postby Mr.Glass » Sat Sep 25, 2004 9:43 am

F'n around with the Wacom, the proportions are off I know. Practice is practice though.
Attachments
Jude01.jpg
Mr.Glass

Postby BeLiAL » Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:24 am

In mine piece he doesn't look like Jude at all, but i didn't want to capture likeness.
Attachments
2004-09-24-judelaw.jpg
BeLiAL

Responses thus far...

Postby Kimbot » Sun Sep 26, 2004 11:22 am

Hello, this is my first time posting on this board, although I have lurked here for a few weeks looking at archives.
The Drawing Jam is of special interest to me, as I sometimes have trouble getting myself to practice.
I'd like to start by commenting on the posts so far.

leander - Your colors are vivid, with good contrast. The quick lines give the painting a certain intensity, making his calmer expression more threatening. your second is very fun.
hazzah - (image not loading righ now and I can't remember it.)
gothkitsune - I think it is the wideness of the face that keeps it from looking like Jude. Reminds me a bit of Gomez Adams. Nice shading.
cerejaninja - It seems a lot of us draw more girls than boys. I know I need the practice. He may not look like Jude, but he is very pretty.
BigStov - My attention is drawn to the dark spots on the face. Bold shading is good, it just seems to stand out too much vs the framing of the face here. Got the pose really well for a quickie.
craban - It's true I don't look at this and see Jude, but then the original photo looks a bit like James Dean or something, too. Beautiful, with fantastic detail. I especially love the hand holding the hat. Originally a little obscured in shadow, you really brought out the tension in his hand. Makes me wonder what he's thinking.
Dr 4est - I really love your stark take on this. Chilling. ( I havn't seen Sky Captain yet, but Gattaca is one of my faves.)
Doctor-U - Very nice. Something about the wrist of the left hand bothers me, the angle I think. A little more shading under what you have would balance it out.
wonton - nice espression *teehee*
Luchs - I've noticed from the archived your artis always improvinf. I'd love to see a colored version. (nice avatar btw)
innisanimate - A strong sketch, and you block in the colors well.
Mr. Glass - I have just started using a wacom myself and still have trouble sketching that way. I like the one crisp eye.
BeLiAL - Good lighting. The legs seem to look a little more three-dimensional that the upper body and head, drawing my attention there instead of the face.

Hope no one takes crits personal. I figure thats what we are all here for. A really talented bunch.
Nice to meet you.
Kimbot

My attempt

Postby Kimbot » Sun Sep 26, 2004 11:29 am

I'm not used to drawing guys, and I have only started to attempt portraits recently. Since there has been a lot of trouble capturing Jude, I tried my best to get a likeness. You'd think it would be easy! Anyway, this was done last night and took a couple of hours. HB pencil on typing paper.
I still have some corrections and exaggerations I'd like to make, but the poor piece of paper was getting to overworked.
Crits please!

Kimbot

Postby Dr 4est » Mon Sep 27, 2004 9:23 am

Welcome to the board Kimbot!

I really like your Jude. Definately captured the attitude, and the shading (to me) looks great.
Only a minor crit on the piece... I think the eyes might be a little overworked. They just seem a little too dark and outlined. But, that's jent me, and I am just a hack with a handful of pencils.

Keep it up! Post more!
-Forest
Dr 4est

Postby qed » Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:54 am

Just doing the human xerox machine ... :D

[Edit: Make face thinner, work the shading more]
Attachments
judelaw.jpg
Last edited by qed on Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
qed

PreviousNext

Return to Drawing Jam