Jam 3.12.04: Crystel

A variety of interpretations of the same photo reference. CREATION OF NEW TOPICS RESTRICTED TO ADMINISTRATION.

Moderators: AgentHelix, Tracy Fran, TheRonin, BurnComics

Postby walrus » Wed Mar 17, 2004 10:37 am

Rys - Beautiful stylized render. I really like how you simplified the forms and the shadows and love the muted palette that you used.

CMC - It's a great render, but someone's been watching waaaay too much anime! :wink: While it feels that her body has got a solid sense of light and shadows, have you considerred trying at least a hint of that with her...er... paramour? maybe more of a feeling of lights and shadows on its body ather than making it just solid black?

-mike
walrus

Postby Citizen UNICRON » Wed Mar 17, 2004 7:15 pm

Cool drawings everyone. Rys's is my favorite so far.
Here's mine. At least I inked it this time.
- Citizen UNICRON
Attachments
djam04-03.jpg
Citizen UNICRON

Postby Shmisten » Wed Mar 17, 2004 11:36 pm

Lots of Beauties everyone! I'm especially digging Megmeng's and Rys.

Here's my attempt. after looking at it on the computer screen I'm not
liking her arm too much, there's no weight in it. Anyhoo...

--Kristen--
Attachments
marchjam.jpg
Shmisten

Postby emceeONE » Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:34 am

Burn - Nice photo, very feline like pose. It's the first thing that hit me, even before her beauty. Unfortunately, it's also the thing I failed to capture in mine.

Corkbutt - I saw the Zowie preview and your sketches in the sketchbook section...try harder you lazy bum. :P (if only that smiley wasn't so gay...)

jihardwick - not bad. Did you do this by copying or analyzing?

renimator - sweet. the soft blue shading adds a hint of nostalgia...or something. And her face is perfect. Her foot's a little weird. It's not the angle, maybe the highlight around the sole? I'm not sure.

Rael - the finger's are a bit long, otherwise not bad.

hey G - nice. Would be nice to see some of that volume in the feet too.

megmeng - nice work. Photoshop? I love that dry media. The structure of the face needs some reworking, but nice otherwise.

cruzer6000 - not bad, but try it again. Maybe do a light sketch to get her proportions, features and cat-like pose (look whose talking...pfft).

MBirkhofer - nice colors and mood. Her lower abs could use a little more meat, but really cool.

Rys - Wow. You got her pose and expression and then some. If I had to pick on anything, it would be that her index finger was longer than her middle. But wow. I love it.

cerninous - can't see it.

Luchs - Nice. I like that you turned it just a bit. The foreshortening in the wings is really nice. I'm not completely sold on the twist in the shoulder area. Perhaps show a bit more of the shoulder/back between her neck and the forward wing? Also, an indication of a ribcage on the side facing use would add a bit more solidity.

pencilfarmboy - not quite sure what to make of this, but I like it. Some of the inklines seem a bit unneccessary. But I like the textures and forms alot.

cmc - really nice work. I agree with Walrus about the...creature. I love those hands. It seems like the face and body are two different styles though. Maybe give her a bit of a chin?

citizen Unicron - for some reason whenever I read your name, I always see unicorn. I may have even called you that once or twice. Sorry. Nice work. Great inks. I checked out your site. Nice. You should do more oil paintings. Perhaps color this one up?

Shmisten - first, thanks for the link to the japanese photos. No fair hiding the feet, especially when you draw hands so well. I love her hair and that ribbon. Totally makes the piece. Great shapes and colors. I'd like to see her other arm and maybe the far leg a bit more symmetrical? Also, when I act out the pose, my stomach sticks out a bit (insert snickers and jokes). Maybe that contributes to the sense of weightlessness? Nice style.

Sheesh, that's a lot. Here's mine. I totally screwed up her pose, and looking at it now, her thumb and foot. C&C welcome.

emceeONE

Postby Blue Pillow » Thu Mar 18, 2004 4:36 am

Some cool stuff in here! Really nice, cmc... Agreed about the face, but the painting is sooo nice.
Mine:
Painter Classic, square chalk.......
Attachments
kneel.jpg
Blue Pillow

Postby rota » Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:58 am

Love all these, especially hay g's, rys', cmc's and shmisten's. The first two, because I so enjoy the attempts at simplification and elegance. Cmc's just because I have a thing for cthulhoid creepies. And Shmisten - don't be so hard on yourself. It's a luscious, luscious drawing. My advice - go nuts with the flat, design-y aspects of what you're doing, and forget 'weight' for awhile.
http://www.glowinthedarkpictures.com/sketchbook.html

(ps: My 2005 sketchbook is out. Boy, do you ever need it! Be the first on your block to get your clammies on this.)
rota

Postby cheezykat » Thu Mar 18, 2004 1:58 pm

Well it started out as an attempt at the drawing jam...

no time to comment right now, hopefully I can do so later...[/img]
cheezykat

Postby corkbutt » Thu Mar 18, 2004 2:05 pm

>>try harder you lazy bum. (if only that smiley wasn't so gay...)

You caught me, Emcee.
I just like to post here and there so everyone knows I'm still alive.

Stick and move.

:x <--I think this is the gayest smily. I'd like to think there's another smiley just behind him.
corkbutt

I got busted by a buddy at work.

Postby woodchuck3d » Fri Mar 19, 2004 6:44 pm

This message board is just what I need to keep motivated. Here's my version. A little pencil work, but I did most of it in photoshop. The feet were hardest because there was no detail in the source pic. I moved the right arm back a little to accentuate the breast more.
Attachments
crystel_art[1].jpg
[url=http://mikemetcalfdraws.com]Image
Mike Metcalf: comic art and illustrations.[/url]
woodchuck3d

Postby rota » Fri Mar 19, 2004 7:06 pm

don't kick yourself; we've all done it.
seeing two of those sure doesn't hurt my eyes! that hand is lovely lovely.
http://www.glowinthedarkpictures.com/sketchbook.html

(ps: My 2005 sketchbook is out. Boy, do you ever need it! Be the first on your block to get your clammies on this.)
rota

Postby PaintMonster » Sat Mar 20, 2004 10:29 am

Great works everybody....
Here is my take....
--Marty
PaintMonster

Postby scotty » Sun Mar 21, 2004 2:49 pm

Howdy!
I don't know if this is against the rules (not technically being a drawing) but I did this this morning. I have been playing around with this oil technique. It's like drawing using burnt umber mixed with a lot of turpenoid. You draw using the brush and erase with a towel and/or a brush with clean turp. It's like drawing with charcoal, but fun!

I did a similar piece last week

The drawing look good, it's cool seing so much variety in everyones interpretation.
scotty

Postby PaintMonster » Sun Mar 21, 2004 11:42 pm

This is cleanup version....
--Marty
PaintMonster

deadline

Postby vanderwolff » Mon Mar 22, 2004 11:39 am

Hi, I'm new to the forum and I'd like to participate...is there still time to post a rendering? When does this drawoff end?
Thanks,
V.
vanderwolff

Postby MichaelK » Mon Mar 22, 2004 12:01 pm

pretty much when the next is up...
MichaelK

PreviousNext

Return to Drawing Jam