Jam 2.13.04: Vika

A variety of interpretations of the same photo reference. CREATION OF NEW TOPICS RESTRICTED TO ADMINISTRATION.

Moderators: AgentHelix, Tracy Fran, TheRonin, BurnComics

Jam 2.13.04: Vika

Postby BurnComics » Fri Feb 13, 2004 8:05 pm

I am very pleased to present a brand new drawing jam! The model is Vika, from www.hegre-archives.com
Attachments
019.jpg
025.jpg
021.jpg
Last edited by BurnComics on Fri Mar 12, 2004 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BurnComics

Postby Ian* » Sat Feb 14, 2004 9:07 pm

hello. my first drawing jam. :D
Image http://www.ianspendloff.com/
Ian*

Postby MichaelK » Sun Feb 15, 2004 12:42 pm

Wow, the first post and allready something so positively awesome has been posted that I'm robbed at any hope of contributing anything that doesn't make me look like an idiot...

Great job Ian!
MichaelK

Postby noduse » Sun Feb 15, 2004 1:34 pm

Here's my quick sketch. Nice job Ian - I wish I could make my faces more realistic and accurate. I guess that takes practice, eh? Gotta start somewhere.
Attachments
x031_db021.jpg
noduse

Postby Ayame » Sun Feb 15, 2004 4:56 pm

Not easy at all !

Here is the first one :

I'll draw the others maybe tomorow...
Look at the stars
Look at they shine for you
And all the things you do
Cause it was so yellow

Coldplay - Yellow
Ayame

Postby Phoebe geebees » Sun Feb 15, 2004 8:39 pm

!Aye! Mami!
Attachments
drawing-jam-1.jpg
Phoebe geebees

Postby WRuv » Sun Feb 15, 2004 8:39 pm

bored and watching the all star game. C&C always welcome.
Attachments
vika.jpg
WRuv

Postby mcintosh184 » Sun Feb 15, 2004 10:41 pm

This is a first time for me as well. It was hard, and I ultimately gave up after several tries, regardless, here is my submission ... hopefully I was able to hang with you guys ...
Attachments
1ruff.jpg
mcintosh184

Postby Citizen UNICRON » Sun Feb 15, 2004 11:56 pm

Cool drawings everybody!

I haven't posted in quite a while. Here's my jam in progress. I would like to ink them in a Dave Stevens style. Peace.

-Citizen UNICRON
Attachments
jamrough.jpg
Citizen UNICRON

Postby Ayame » Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:41 am

Nice job ! :D
Look at the stars
Look at they shine for you
And all the things you do
Cause it was so yellow

Coldplay - Yellow
Ayame

Postby ShaunM » Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:55 am

did this in painter, turned her into catwoman.. how original :roll: :
ShaunM

Postby exmoure » Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:41 pm

Ian! I have to say, I am absolutely green with envy of your amazing use of line. May I ask what kind of pencil you're using? It looks like a B...

..I also really like the clean, shapely style you have. It's freakin' incredible.

Phoebe, again... love your work. :D She looks fantastic.
"You are what you believe you are." - Don Miguel Riez
Exmoure
exmoure

Postby PaintMonster » Mon Feb 16, 2004 7:06 pm

Nice work everybody.
here is mine.
--Marty
PaintMonster

Postby walrus » Mon Feb 16, 2004 9:37 pm

Nice work everyone!
Unicron - great pencils especially the bottom piece, and i look forward to seeing your inked versions.

Marty - See, you were just telling me last week or so that you wanted the Jam back - here you go! (and i had nothing to do with it... but boy, it's good to have the Drawing Jam back again!

Here's my humble contribution (humble, in this case, meaning sub-par. oh, well! :-) )

-mike
Attachments
vika.jpg
vika.jpg (75.81 KiB) Viewed 5755 times
walrus

Postby Borogove » Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:22 am

Wow! Haven't seen one of these Drawing Jams in a good, long while. Did a slight caricature of the second one and for no good reason decided to try shading and toning the thing in Photoshop. Feel free to crit, comment, and discuss.

Ian: I really like the toned-line hatching. The push in the expression is nice too. I worry that in both poses you're hatcheting into her eyes too deeply and sharply making them not only extremely sunken, but also very close together, so my crit would be to soften that angle from brow to eye to cheek.

noduse: Yep, gotta start somewhere and the practice will do you good. Don't be afraid to do some very simple and loose sketching to give you something to build on. Just finding a center line of ballance from the foot and knee up to the head would have benefited this drawing a whole lot. Also, putting in simple shapes as markers will let you eyeball your proportions before you get into specifics of the form.

Ayame: Yeah, that side on the right does look like it'll be tough to make accurately and still get a good looking drawing. For some reason there's a lot of flattening out happening in your drawing's arms and chest. I'm kind of stuck for why, so I think I'll give that pose a shot also to get a better perspective on what's going on with it.

Phoebe geebees: Beautiful style you've got there. She's like a glass Rastafarian! I love the push in the upper lip and the handling of the hand and foot. That right elbow is drifting a bit, but all in all I like the piece a lot. Ended up checking out your gallery, and I'm digging the push in your style a whole lot.

WRuv: You know, that hand resting on the table gave me a lot of trouble too. Just a really ugly position. Not so much a crit as solidarity on the demon hand. Without that hand it's a very beautifully and masterfully done piece with an almost poetic subtletly in parts of the raised hand, the armpit on the right, the face and the ear.

mcintosh184: Don't give up! Get analytical, start another try, get looser and play up your volumes. It might be time to get a soft lead or even grease or charcoal pencil to get you away from the scratchy sketching and into some whole-arm looseness.

Citizen UNICRON: Very attractive sketching. I guess nobody really liked the second photo's weight-bearing hand. Very nice sense of forward and backward movement on the arms of the upper left drawing.

ShaunM: Nice simple sketch. You got a lot of volume with that rough shading and hilighting.

PaintMonster: Cute take, but I don't think the slight shading and hilighting works with those thick lines. It would be cool to see this with just flat coloring.

walrus: I actually enjoy this one a lot. Sure the face isn't your best, but the figure is competently done with a great attention to volume. I love where you went with the stomach too.
Attachments
SepiaGirl copy.jpg
Borogove

Next

Return to Drawing Jam